Old Goa is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This was the capital of Portuguese India beginning in 1510 and was the center of Christianisation in the East. At its height, Old Goa was referred to as the Rome of the East for its grand mansions, massive churches and convents. The population was 200,000 inhabitants by 1550. However, malaria and cholera epidemics ravaged the city in the 17th century and the city was largely abandoned. The capital was moved to Panjim, 20 minutes bus ride to the west. Here are few photos of the Church of Saint Francis of Assisi, one of many of the beautiful remains of Old Goa.